All candidates for the upcoming Wingecarribee Shire Council election next month are now known, and there are a few surprises in the final washup. Here’s what we found:
- The Mayor Ken Halstead has not renominated, while former Mayor Duncan Gair did nominate despite previously announcing he would not retire.
- Gair and Councillor Jim Mauger are the only two ungrouped candidates.
- There are seven groups contesting the election.
- In total, there are 53 candidates, 36 of which are men.
- Of the candidates who have released their dates of birth, only one is younger than 40 (Angela Kosac), while the eldest is 82 (John Foster).
- Most candidates live in Bowral (8), followed by Mittagong (6), Moss Vale (5) and Burradoo (5).
- 11 Candidates are from the northern side of the Gib, while the rest are from the South.
- Of the nine sitting councillors, seven have renominated for another term. Mayor Halstead and Paul Tuddenham have stood aside.
- The Liberal Party has changed four of their five previously announced candidates. Only incumbent councillor Juliet Arkwright remains. The original team included Alan Hunt, Nick Dyer, Alexandra Degnan and Ken Street.