Candidates Withdrawing

In an extraordinary turn of events, three previously announced candidates have now withdrawn from the 2012 Wingecarribee Council election campaign. Two candidates have pulled out following differences with their team leaders, while a third says he has received a “credible threat” that has forced his withdrawal.

The Liberal Party Candidate Alan Hunt resigned from his team after a dispute with Juliet Arkwright over the Wongabri/Mittagong Pool development. Mr Hunt’s replacement is not known.

On July 20, Larry Whipper announced Liam O’Hara would be leaving his team following similarly irreconcilable differences. It is believed Bowral cafe owner Angela Kosac is Mr O’Hara’s replacement.

Now, Independent candidate Greg Franklin has also announced his withdrawal from the race, citing “credible threats, that I believe will be carried out, if I continue”. Mr Franklin told the Southern Highland News that police were investigating the matter.

The withdrawals come in stark contrast to the rush of announcements of new candidates in recent weeks, and there are still only a handful of starters compared to the 70-odd candidates who contested the 2008 election.


This entry was posted in 2012 Council Election and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply